Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Lifestyling tuesdays - pampering

Well , DH is on a business trip this week, so no gym tonight ... sigh. But, hey I will push myself upstairs, do half an hour on my bike and then ... then, I will indulge for a rare luxury since I became a mum ... no no, no quick shower tonight ... I will take a luxury bath, with candles, my bath pillow and ... silence :)

One of my lifestyling missions, is to reduce medication for DH, DK and me. Some time back, their was a new law which made it possible to demand the producers of medicine to make their meds testings public. Well, I don't hear a lot about it any more, but apparently there is a whole black list of seemingly harmless meds that are quite commonly used with very high risks. Now I know that there are committees watching out for our health, and that they have their own tests ... but still ever since I saw those articles in the papers my view on meds have seriously changed.

Still the small colds and aches can't all be beaten by a healthy lifestyle with lots of sports, fruits, veggies and limited sweets and fat ... especially since I tend to forget about the enough sound sleep part ;)
So I try to find some natural remedies for the most common problems at my house:

  1. stuffy nose: fennel! (Not suited for small kids in concentrated versions!!) Leek, celery ... they all tend to help. I make fennel-apple pie for kids. Or give them some honey with added fennel oil. Leek-celery soup ... Or the sliced onion next to your pillow. Really works and I don't need no tests to tell me that it's much healthier than those nose drops you can buy at the pharmacist.
  2. cough: herbal chest creams, but the biological reform version. They have special ones for small kids too. Mint tea with honey. Mint sweets. Raise the head of the bed.
  3. sore throat/disinfectant: roman (wild) camomile flowers. Make tea with the flowers with lots of honey. You can also use the flowers for painful red eyes (after you poured some boiling water on it and let it cool down a bit.)
  4. nausea: ginger, in tea, raw, cooked and in sweets.
Well I wish I could restore my voice by some miracle plant ... apparently the camomile can do some good ... but especially the staying silent .... not good at it at all ;/

No comments: